An old village between Milan and Bobbio called to the Irish Abbot
The irish monk was in Milan in the court of Longobard King Agilulfo living then to Bobbio in the 613.
It is possible that Colombian he was repeatedly pass through the Lambro river or on the roads at that time they join together the two centers and therefore also in the near current habited area of S.colombano of Lambro.
Tradition wants that this monaco reversed the habitants of the hills to christianity and teach them the culture of screws which still retains it’s top priority on the 12 Nkkm of the hill in the Pianura Padana. For real the discovery of wine amphorae and winery tools stored in the museum paleontologic Virginio Caccia show that already in Roman times. The screws was cultivated for the production of wine. From the X a small cell of brine is documented equipped with an oratory entitled for S.Colombano of Bobbio, that expanded gradually and give life to a village that took it’s name just from this little church of S.colombano.
It existed at the end of the XIV century the GIESIA VEGIA or parish church and viscontea chapel ascribed against the castle walls.
In the 1480 was welcomed by the Duke in charge a popular entreaty that who asked for the demolition.
The only church in Lodi to have 5 naves with various chapels and double colonnade.
The chapel called Del Rosario was erected as olive after the pestilence of 1630 and the current bell tower dates back ay 1780.
They are well stored the frescoes of Bernardino Campi from Cremona carried out between the 1576 and 1581 for the Chapel of S.maria Maddalena of the Castle by it removed in the 1846 and there are also on site works of Bernardino Lanzani and of Paolo Caravaggio recently placed they are 4 huge oil paintings on table made from Felice Vanelli da Lodi and depicting some scenes of life of S.Colombano abbot.
In the 1836 the Church is enlarged and at the same time the new organ is inaugurated work of the Bassi brothers. In occasion of the fifth century great cleaning works have been carried out and cooling of paintings and decorations, still in excellent condition.
In the church the Baptistery is still preserved where it was baptized Don Carlo Gnocchi born on 25 October 1902. Alpine chaplain and founder of the orphans, multilated and poliomyelitis he was beatified in 2009 at Piazza Duomo in Milan.
Oratory and St Roch Church
Architectural local jewel built in 1514 it is still in perfect condition. Building erected in Bramante style with an octagonal plan it is very interest the renaissance setting of the upper part, inside the church, seat of marooned and prospecting with openings linked by columns.
The fortress already existed in the 10 century as a raised outpost for the nearby cities of Milan and Pavia and for the royal residence of Corte Olona.
In the flat Padania have a structure placed in the height it was of great strategic utility.
Considerable transformations new performed from Barbarossa in the 1164 after the destruction carried out by the same in 1158 -to the utility of his empire-as the documents of that time cite. After the victory of the Lombard League with the Milan domain on the area,Visconti finished the construction of the fortress.
Remember as a curiosity that in 1353 Francesco Petrarca he was a guest of the Archbishop at the castle and other distinguished guests have stayed there like Leonardo da Vinci and The Queen Margherita of Savoy. How much today can you admire the imposing original factory, it consists of the entrance tower with a square plan to the north in the tower called -grossa- or -castellana to the west and in the extensive crenellated walls that still surrounds the hill.
Currently part of the complex is municipal property that is taking care of a proper renovation.
The last years of the seventeenth century followed with the Spanish domination in the duchy of Milan it was irremediably ruined below.
In the 1691 the King of Spain Charles II privileged the village with the title of prominent Oppidum and with the attached rights.
And then the prior of Charterhouse Don Giovanni Abbiati to give prestige, ordered the construction of a new ring road around the township.
The first stone of a large entrance door was laid on 27 july 1691 and was to be the beginning of the construction of a new ring road around the village,never performed.
La Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista
In 1510, in a slightly dominant position on the hill of Collada, the hospital was built (hospital as a place of hospitality) and the adjoining church of San Giovanni Battista was consecrated. The convent of San Giovanni Battista of the Third Order of San Francesco in San Colombano was suppressed in 1772.
It reminds the posterity of the sad event of the perstilence of 1630 of the old permitter walls only the traces remain, consisting of a low wall in reinforced concrete which traces the original layout of the octagonal area.
In a central position there is the chapel with two small hexagonal temples on the sides, the style of the century oratory typically of the seventeenth-century,recalls the existing one in Milan.
It’s a complex dating to the 1600 subsequently restructured in the 800 and lately in radical way in the seventies.
Typical building of noble house with a L-SHAPED plan with a colonnaded entrance and the main staircase for the access to the upper rooms and was and it is after the last adaptations
the seat of the local municipality. It belonged to the noble family Don Baldassare Patigno who died in 1734 who was minister plenipotentiary of the King of Spain at the court of France.
The ancient reception hall, hosts the current council chamber which in 1982 was equipped with a valuable series of pictorial panels-23-that illustrate the historical events of S colombano al Lambro from it’s origins to our days, from the Gallic period to Don Carlo Gnocchi twenty centuries of Local history. On the upper floors there is the Civic Art Gallery with pictorial works of great values, the paleontological and archaeological museum V.Caccia,which collects precious finds come to light in the territory, on the ground floor we find the Civic Library.
Build in 1927 in memory of the fallen of the 1 great war and later those of the successive ones.
It’s located in it’s own architectural context that occupies the whole North Side of the main square of the village.
On the sides, the gravestones with the name of the -fallen-
All surrounded by gardens and fountain that complete the architectural with insert of Art Nouveau Motifs in Liberty style.
Hills Grapes and Wines
S.Colombano al Lambro extends to the foot of a charming hill sing in 1353 Francesco Petrarca.
-This is a very fertile hill places almost in the middle of Gallia Cisalpina. I know of no other place than in a very low position you can see around you. Only if you turn around the eyes you are offered before,Pavia,Piacenza and Cremona.
Park of the Hill of St Columban: www.parcodellacollinadisancolombano.it
In fact from this hill, unique in the area of Milan you can enjoy one of the most beautiful local landscapes that go south to the Oltrepo’ and the Ligurian Appennine foothills, to the north is dominated by the Lombard plain from the Lodigiano to the Milanese.
Already practiced in Roman times, the cultivation of the vine has covered the gentle slopes of the hill, becoming an important wealth for the inhabitants of San Colombano, marking the history and culture of the hill towns. The vine is image, landscape and enotourist reference.
Passionate winemakers and qualified winemakers continue the profession of “patri”, focusing on productions that bear the name of the territory. Since 1984 the hill is a place with a designation of origin (D.O.C.). A Consortium of Protection supports the production and promotion of red and white wine called “San Colombano” and manages a wine shop in the Castle.
The Guiderdone Banino, medieval festival
every second Sunday of September
Grape festival every fourth Sunday of September